Parent Books has an extensive collection of books on ADHD and related disorders. View their list of recommended books, or browse in their Toronto store at 201 Harbord Street.
About CHADD — Children and Adults with Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder.
Books on Mindfulness:
- Aldort, N. (2006). Raising our children, raising ourselves. Bothell, WA: Book Publishers Network.
- Fontana, D., & Slack, I. (2002). Teaching meditation to children. London: Thorsons.
- Greco, L. A., & Hayes, S. C. (2008). Acceptance & mindfulness treatments for children & adolescents: A practitioner’s guide. Reno, NV: Context Press.
- Greenland, S. K. (2010). The mindful child: How to help your kid manage stress and become happier, kinder, and more compassionate. New York: Free Press.
- Huck, L. F. (1996). Meditation for kids (and other beings). New York: Weatherhill.
- Kabat-Zinn, M., & Kabat-Zinn, J. (1997). Everyday blessings: The inner work of mindful parenting. New York: Hyperion.
- Lark, L. (2003). Yoga for young people. New York: Sterling Pub.
- McCurry, C. (2009). Parenting your anxious child with mindfulness and acceptance: A powerful new approach to overcoming fear, panic, and worry using acceptance and commitment therapy. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
- Napthali, S. (2008). Buddhism for mothers of young children. Crows Nest, NSW, Australia: Allen & Unwin.
- Rogers, S. (2005). Mindful parenting: Meditations, verses, and visualizations for a more joyful life. Miami Beach, FL: Mindful Living Press.
- Roy, D. (2007). Momfulness: Mothering with mindfulness, compassion, and grace. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Shapiro, L. E., & Sprague, R. K. (2009). The relaxation and stress reduction workbook for kids: Help for children to cope with stress, anxiety, and transitions. Oakland, Calif: New Harbinger.
- Siegel, D. J., & Hartzell, M. (2003). Parenting from the inside out: How a deeper self-understanding can help you raise children who thrive. New York: J.P. Tarcher/Putnam.
- Winston, D. (2003). Wide awake: A Buddhist guide for teens. New York: Perigee Book.
- Wood, S. (2008). Sensational meditation for children: A complete guide to child-friendly meditation based on the five senses. Ashville, NC: Satya International.
CHADD’s general suggested reading:
- Barkley, R. (1998) Attention deficit hyperactivity disorders: A handbook for diagnosis and treatment. New York: Guilford Press.
- Brown, T.E. (2000) Attention-deficit disorders and comorbidities in children, adolescents, and adults. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Press, Inc.
- Dendy, C.A.Z. (1995) Teenagers with ADD. Bethesda, MD: Woodbine House.
- Goldstein, S. (1999) The facts about AD/HD: An overview of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. CHADD 1999 Conference Book, Landover, MD: CHADD.
- Parker, H.C. (1988) The attention deficit disorder workbook for parents, teachers and kids. Plantation, FL: Impact Publications.
- Rief, S. (1993) How to reach and teach children with ADD/AD/HD. West Nyack, NY: The Center for Applied Research in Education
CHADD’s suggested reading for parents:
- Phelan, T. (1994) A Vital Parents’ Guide — Surviving Your Adolescent — How to Manage and Let Go Of Your 13 to 18 Year Olds. Glen Ellyn, Illinois: Child Management Inc.
- Phelan, T. (1994) 1-2-3 Magic — Who’s in Charge at Your House? Glen Ellyn, Illinois: Child Management Inc.
- Canter, L. (1985) Assertive Discipline — Parent Resource Guide. Canter and Associates, Inc.
- Weingartner, P. (1999) ADHD Handbook for Families — A Guide to Communicating with Professionals. Washington, DC: Child and Family Press.
- Clark, L. (1985) SOS! Help for Parents — A Practical Guide for Handling Common Everyday Behavior Problems. Bowling Green, KY: Parents Press.
- Barkley, R. (1995) Taking Charge of ADHD — The Complete Authoritative Guide for Parents. New York: Guilford Press.